Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Wednesday 26 June 2024

Irlam

Cormorant, Irlam Locks

It was a scorchio day and it had been such a warm night I didn't get to sleep until past five am and overslept as a consequence. The blackbird started singing just after half three and by quarter past four the wren, the blackcap, a woodpigeon and a carrion crow had joined in the chorus.

I'd missed the trains for plans A to E and, frankly, was too tired and hot to even think of a stroll locally. I decided it was prudent to wait until teatime when there'd be a hint of shade and the promise of a cooling breeze.

I won't bore the reader with a chronicle of the sequence of indecisions that led me to be sitting on the 67 going into Irlam. I got off at Ferry Road and wandered into Irlam Community Woodland.

River Orwell old course

Chiffchaffs, blackbirds and wrens sang in the trees and bushes. A family of coots pottered about the ox-bow lake by The Boathouse, the remnant of the old course of the Irwell. A grey wagtail and a robin fussed about the anglers' landings.

I crossed Cadishead Way and walked along the Ship Canal to the locks. A couple of dozen sand martins hawked low over the canal, pigeons and black-headed gulls loafed on the locks, cormorants dried their wings as they sat on lampposts and a heron lurked by the lock gates.

Manchester Ship Canal, looking downstream from the locks

Looking downstream as I crossed the locks a mute swan was cruising up from the bridges with a couple of Canada geese and a mallard had eight half-sized ducklings dabbling with her by the bank. A few lesser black-backs few high over, a handful of black-headed gulls fussed about the locks.

Walking down Irlam Road there didn't seem to be a lot on the water treatment works. All the sand martins were over the canal and the gulls didn't seem to want to know. A few woodpigeons and magpies rummaged about in the fields with small flocks of starlings and a few swallows. Blackbirds and blackcaps sang in the hedgerows and house sparrows chirped from their depths.

I'd had a bit of a potter about, didn't feel like a walk round Wellacre Country Park and was feeling generally lethargic so I carried on down Irlam Road and got the bus home. Pottering about is allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment