Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Tuesday 4 June 2024

Whalley Range

Canada geese and mute swan

The weather forecast was decidedly iffy despite the bright, sunny dawn. The planned wander was given up on after the non-appearance of the bus to Buxton so I headed over to Whalley Range on the way home for a shufti round Alexandra Park in between showers.

Coming in from Claremont Road 

I walked in from the corner of Claremont Road in the sunshine and walked down the path that runs parallel to Alexandra Road to the pond. Blackbirds, robins, wrens and a chiffchaff sang in the trees, a mistle thrush fossicked about on the grass with a bunch of young magpies, woodpigeons clattered about and a few ring-necked parakeets screeched about in the treetops.

The path to the pond

Tufted ducks

There were half a dozen tufted ducks with the mallards, coots and Canada geese, just the one mute swan as far as I could see. I wasn't expecting to find a grey wagtail on the island. I hadn't gone far when the clouds rolled in and brought biblical rain. I sloped off for the 85 into Chorlton and thence home.

Alexandra Park pond


No comments:

Post a Comment