Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Monday 14 December 2020

Elton Reservoir

Little egret

It was a fair, and surprisingly mild, December day so I had an afternoon stroll round Elton Reservoir.

A couple of the feeders have returned to the tree by the car park so I spent a while watching to see what came in to them, which today turned out to be mostly great tits, blue tits, chaffinches and house sparrows with a few reed buntings. I've no idea how the feeders get put up there, nor how they get filled, unless they use one of those big poles with a hook on the end we used to have to use to open the windows at school. Neither do I know who does it, good on them whoever they are. A lot of noise and the twittering flight of a charm of goldfinches accompanied a sparrowhawk being chased off by a couple of carrion crows.

The small canal on the right is the good path to the creek

There were a few dozen each of mallard, tufties and coot in the bight by the sailing club. All told there must have been more than a hundred and fifty or more black-headed gulls about. Further out in the water I spotted a couple of female goldeneye and a great crested grebe. I walked over towards the creek, the good path was awash with water and got progressively worse the further along I went. A little egret was feeding under the trees along the creek and the first-Winter scaup was feeding and preening at its mouth. The scaup's well into its moult now with a lot of adult feathers on its back and mantle.

First-Winter drake scaup

Given the state of the good path (I was top of the boots deep in mud) there was no way I was going to assay the muddy track further on. I turned back and walked down to the sailing club. The little egret flew over and spent a few minutes feeding with the coots before flying off.

The path along the Southern margin of the reservoir was also wretched. Looking over the water I could see more great crested grebes, a group of goldeneyes including a rather fine male, half a dozen redhead goosanders with a salmon-pink male and a couple of dozen teal loafing under the far bank. There were yet more black-headed gulls, with more coming in to roost, together with half a dozen lesser black-backs and singles of common gull and herring gull.

I walked down to the canal. A male kestrel flew in and sat on the telegraph line above my head. It wasn't at all bothered by my reaching for my camera, we were both extremely bothered by a carrion crow that dived in and drove it off before I could get a picture.

Elton Reservoir

I walked into Radcliffe for the tram home. There were a lot of starlings and woodpigeons about, which was sort of reassuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment