Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Friday 4 December 2020

Home thoughts

Great spotted woodpecker

Yesterday was a waiting in for parcels day which became a waiting in for parcels and having the plumbers out day and today's been a waiting for the locksmith after the plumbers have been day so this week's plans have been sadly awry a bit. Mind you, seeing how the weather's turned mid-morning it's probably just as well: the planned wild goose chase over the mosses would have been hellish. The change in the weather's reflected in the birds in the garden.

When I opened the curtains this morning the usual dozen spadgers were on the feeders with a couple of the blue tits. There was something bigger on one of the giant pine cones on the back end of the rowan tree. A male great spotted woodpecker, a garden first despite their kicking round in the local parks. I got a couple of record shots which probably would have been a lot better had I not been groggy with sleep.

The feathered hooligans have been like a plague of locusts this week so I nipped out for yet more bird food (I'm going to have to order it in sacks again). God help us when the starlings arrive en masse. I felt a bit sorry for the long-tailed tits feeding on the station as I waited for the train into Urmston. I dare say they moved down to my garden while I was out. When I went out to refill the feeders there were twenty sparrows waiting for me to get out of the way. I got back in just in time for the rain to turn to sleet. The goldcrest's come into the garden properly today, spending a lot of time exploring the bark on the cherry tree.

One of the parcels I'd been waiting for was a couple of pairs of fleece-lined trousers. I suspect I'm going to be getting the use of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment