Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Friday 13 May 2022

Home thoughts

I keep thinking the garden warbler's been and gone then I hear it singing again. The past couple of days it's been the only bird singing at lunchtime. The blackcap at the station tends to be a morning singer.

I've been bumping into swifts all week, the first one flew over the back garden today. Another sniff of Summer was the arrival of the young starlings that have been making a racket in the eaves of half the houses down the street. (I'm fairly sure I don't have spadgers or starlings in my roof though jackdaws have nested in the chimney a couple of times.) At the moment these youngsters are mostly sticking to sitting in the sycamores on the railway embankment, a couple of the more daring types flying into the top of the rowan for a minute or two before retreating back to the others. Their parents have spent all day shuttling between the sycamores and the school playing field which seems to be well-stocked with leatherjackets this year. I can't think we have long to wait for the baby spadgers given the truckloads of greenflies being taken back to nests. The feeders in the back garden have been a useful topping-up station for the adult birds, I've just bought in a load of fat balls and sunflower seeds, they'll be getting a hammering once the youngsters start coming in.


No comments:

Post a Comment