Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Tuesday 29 October 2019

Leighton Moss

Leighton Moss
A visit to Leighton Moss on a bright sunny day. One of those days when the reserve suffers from its own success. I've written and deleted a long rant about some of the visitors, it was cathartic but not really the sort of things I want in this blog. After a couple of hours I grabbed a sausage butty and called it a day.

Leighton Moss
The recent floods had receded and the paths were passable but their effects could be seen all over. In particular, I've never seen the reedbeds on the way to the Griesdale and Tim Jackson hides looking so open.

Nice to see a great white egret on the Eric Morecambe pool. Duck numbers are starting to build up, particularly at the Lilian's and Griesdale  hides. A couple of Cetti's warblers were singing near the sky tower. They, and marsh tit were my prime targets for the day, I'd hoped for bearded tits but it was a bit late in the morning to connect with them.

Teal, Lilian's Hide

I got the train to Barrow, taking advantage of my Over 55's Explorer ticket. I intended doing a bit of Morecambe Bay watching from the train then do a quick reconnaissance to see how easy or not might be to get to South Walney. Alas, after seeing the afternoon's cancellations to come it became apparent I'd best get the next train back from Barrow to be sure of getting home at a sensible time. Even so, another cancellation at Lancaster nearly had me kicking my heels for a couple of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment