Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Sunday 7 January 2024

Wellacre Country Park

Wellacre Wood 

I got the 256 down to Flixton for a bit of a wander round Wellacre Country Park to take advantage of a fine, though cloudy, Winter afternoon.

Wellacre Wood 

I nearly turned back before a hundred yards was passed: the ground was saturated and stiff mud was the order of the day. I got to the edge of Wellacre Wood, looked at the huge puddle where the path usually is and decided to walk round the outside instead. Usually it's the path in the woods that's easily passable and the one round the outside that's the problem.

Robins, great tits and magpies called from the trees, blackbirds rummaged in the undergrowth and a coal tit sang from a sycamore tree. I hadn't gone far when a pair of great spotted woodpeckers took exception to me and their calling set off a pair of ring-necked parakeets in the trees by the school.I turned onto the path to Dutton's Pond, it's mostly metalled along the way and more reliable walking in these conditions. A song thrush sang from a stand of willows and a flock of a dozen fieldfares flew about the woodland by the field of horses. A fox trotted along the perimeter fence of the field and disappeared into a bramble patch at the corner.

Dutton's Pond 

Half a dozen mallards idled about on Dutton's Pond with a couple of moorhens while a flock of house sparrows made a racket as they rummaged round in the brambles by the path.

Wellacre Country Park 

While there had been plenty of titmice in Wellacre Wood I didn't see a mixed tit flock until I walked by the railway embankment. It seemed to be equal numbers of blue tits and great tits, I wasn't sure if the two pairs of coal tits were part of the flock or just happened to be disputing a territory while the others passed by.

Jack Lane local nature reserve 

Jack Lane was full of woodpigeons and magpies. I took a chance and walked into the reedbeds and found the path to be drier than any of the others this afternoon. At least, until I got to the other end. I turned and retraced my steps. My reward was a reed bunting flitting about in the reeds and, just as I was climbing over the stile, a blood-curdling scream from a water rail just behind me.

Jack Lane local nature reserve 

I walked back into Flixton along Jack Lane accompanied by long-tailed tits and robins. And I struck lucky and got to Town Gate just in time for the bus home. It had been a very muddy afternoon but the second-best boots had done a good job of protecting me from the worst of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment