Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Tuesday 2 January 2024

Wet

There's a meme doing the rounds having Alistair Sim as Scrooge leaning out of a window and shouting: "You boy! What Met Office storm is it today?" Looking out at the teeming rain on a day of eternal twilight I reviewed the options I had planned today and the mouthwatering array of potential targets and decided that perhaps I need to act my age.

Environment Agency flood alerts 02/01/24

There are flood alerts locally though it would take thirty feet of flooding to put us at risk here. I saw how high the Mersey was yesterday, the Manchester Ship Canal at Barton was full to the banks, as was the Bridgewater Canal as I passed on the bus. I can't help wondering if it wouldn't have been a better idea to make Port Salford into a flood meadow rather than bulldozing the bank to build more warehouses.

The rain didn't seem to deter the spadgers, they came in mob-handed and flitted in and out all day. The pair of coal tits came in together to raid the sunflower seed feeders, the blue tits seemed too busy chasing each other round the rowan tree.

  • Black-headed gull 1 overhead
  • Blackbird 2
  • Blue tit 2
  • Carrion crow 1
  • Coal tit 2
  • Collared dove 1
  • Dunnock 1
  • Goldcrest 1
  • Great tit 1
  • House sparrow 16
  • Jackdaw 4
  • Magpie 2
  • Robin 1
  • Starling 1
  • Woodpigeon 1
Tomorrow I shall get wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment