Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Monday 1 January 2024

Urmston

Cattle egret

I'm not one of those birdwatchers who hurl themselves about on a New Year's Day bird race, I'm as likely to stay at home drinking too much tea. Having said that, I had an errand to do in Urmston, the cattle egret was still on Cob Kiln Lane, it would have been rude not to add it to the year list. 

I thought I'd struck unlucky, it was nowhere to be seen in the field it was in yesterday, there was only a herring gull and a lesser black-back. The little egret was with the horses on the far side of the field on the other side of the lane, the parakeets were screeching, robins were singing and a flock of a couple of dozen redwings flitted between the treetops.

Cob Kiln Wood 

I walked a little way into Cob Kiln Wood which was quiet save a few woodpigeons, magpies and blackbirds then remembered I'd promised myself I'd keep my feet dry today so I scuttled back and followed the metalled path to the river. The river was even higher than the other day, the weir was almost obliterated by the stream. A couple of dozen lesser black-backs flew low over the river heading towards the roost on Sale Water Park.

River Mersey 

I walked back, got to the field by the stables and lo and behold, there was the cattle egret again, strutting its stuff. A nice way to start the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment