Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Thursday 18 January 2024

What the hell is that? birds

One bird i didn't mention in yesterday's write-up (because I was tired and forgot) was one of the gulls at Southport beach. I was just approaching the pier and contemplating the least silly way of running up the concrete slope onto the walkway underneath the pier when a couple of large gulls flew overhead. One was an obvious herring gull. The other was the same size but slightly darker grey above and had a sooty grey hood. Many herring gulls have extensive streaking on their heads in Winter but this was a lot extreme: only the face in front of the eyes and the throat were white and the face messy. I didn't get any more than that first impression as it disappeared over the pier and away and I couldn't pick it up again later. So it's one of those "What the hell was that?" birds, all honest birdwatchers accumulate their fair share of them, I've had hundreds. 

I know what I would like it to have been but that would be a new taxon for me and I'd want a lot longer and better view of one before even thinking of claiming it. Which doesn't mean I won't be keeping a close eye on the local bird reports just in case. I won't be able to retrospectively add it to my lists but I'll know what first impression to look out for.


No comments:

Post a Comment