Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Sunday 28 January 2024

My BirdTrack year

Each January I get an email from BirdTrack providing a summary of my previous year's activity and a bit of wider context that I wouldn't get just by looking at my own stats.

My 2023 BirdTrack year

Home and the sites nearby are, naturally, the most recorded. I submit records for home and the school playing field at least daily. If I've been out I'll record them as begin and end points. There are also a lot of dawn chorus records and nighttime records of mammals, particularly the hedgehog that comes to the front doorstep for meals.

I record what I'm seeing as I travel around. Some of my train journeys jump out from the map.

May 22nd, which included a trip out to Martin Mere, was the day when I saw the most species: seventy-four. May's a productive time of year as the days are long, leaf cover's not quite full and there are plenty of birds making themselves conspicuous by song. Martin Mere was also my most productive site, I saw 106 species there last year. There were seventy-one days when I recorded at least fifty species.

I'm frankly amazed I'm the only person to have submitted records for the 10km square including Ravenglass in Cumbria.

No comments:

Post a Comment