Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Thursday 5 November 2020

Home thoughts

Grey squirrel
This is the hooligan that chewed the bottom off the bird feeder.

A cool, grey day for the first day of lockdown and a lazy morning with the cat and a pot of tea followed by a lazy afternoon with the cat and a pot of tea. 

House sparrow bath time

It's been quiet in the garden, though for the first time this week I managed to catch twelve house sparrows from the "Silver Team." I know that lots of sparrows are coming in every day because I'm the one refilling the feeders but catching them in the act is more down to luck than judgement: they descend on the feeders, only stay a few minutes then disappear back over the railway. The only time they linger awhile is when they decide it's bath time. The tit flock stays around longer, they'll be to-ing and fro-ing from the rose bushes to the feeders for a good half hour before moving on to another garden. The coal tits have been particularly conspicuous this week, I suspect that's a reflection of the change in the weather.

A skein of pink-footed geese flew over last night just after midnight when I was asking the cat if she was coming inside yet. I couldn't see them in the dark but by the sound I'd be surprised if it were less than thirty birds. As I nipped out to the shop this afternoon another skein, 52 birds this time, flew over. All the geese flying over this week have been flying West, no idea where they're going or where they're coming from. This time of year I'd be expecting most of them to be flying South towards the fenlands.


No comments:

Post a Comment