Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Monday 18 December 2023

Etherow Country Park

Mandarin ducks 

It was a damp December day of eternal twilight and I'd promised myself I'd start the week without getting my feet wet. A promise made the more difficult because somewhere along the way I've trodden on something that's cut through the sole of one of my best boots so I'll be relying on second best for muddy tracks this side of Christmas.

Etherow Country Park 

I headed over to Etherow Country Park, mandarin ducks show a bit of colour even in lousy light and will sometimes sit still enough for Victorian portrait studio length exposure times.

Mandarin duck 

The river was still very high so no chance of any dippers. I did find a grey wagtail, it was roosting in a tree by the mill pond at the top of the canal.

I had a very brief look at Keg Wood, neither the light nor my knee was up for a prolonged wander. Jackdaws were off to roost in the larches of Ernocroft Wood, carrions crows and woodpigeons heading for the further reaches of Keg Wood.

Keg Wood 

No comments:

Post a Comment