Black-tailed godwits, Leighton Moss

Public transport routes and services change and are sometimes axed completely. I'll try to update any changes as soon as I find out about them. Where bus services have been cancelled or renamed I'll strike through the obsolete bus number to mark this change.

Saturday 9 December 2023

Home thoughts

I had such plans for today but each time I checked the clock and thought to myself: "I've twenty minutes for the next bus/train," the cat came along and fell asleep on my shoulder for half an hour. Then I made the mistake of starting a very good detective story and the weather turned into the type of wet, windy rubbish that suits reading a very good detective story.

Having gotten myself worried about the spadgers they turned up in droves today and were very noisy indeed. Perhaps one or both of the family groups are reconfiguring themselves, it's been ten or fifteen years since the last time. Before then it was three small families, the one led by a very dark patriarch coalesced with the precursor of Team Tawny.

  • Black-headed gulls 2
  • Blue tit 2
  • Collared dove 1
  • Dunnock 1
  • Feral pigeon 1
  • Great tit 2 
  • House sparrow 18
  • Jackdaw 4
  • Magpie 1
  • Robin 1
  • Rook 1
  • Starling 2
  • Woodpigeon 2

The onset of foul weather meant that the school playing field was in full use for football practice all day. The wind getting up towards sunset seemed to have been the trigger for the pre-roost crowd of gulls including twenty herring gulls. A few of the black-headed gulls paddled for worms but the rest of the gulls were just loafing prior to moving on.

  • Black-headed gull 29
  • Carrion crow 3
  • Common gull 1
  • Herring gull 20
  • Lesser black-back 3
  • Magpie 2

No comments:

Post a Comment